Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB: Enfield Jungle Carbine

WTB: Enfield Jungle Carbine

I want to add a Jungle Carbine to my collection. I know ZERO about enfields. I would like one to be of collectible Value . What should I ask about , watch for ?? if a Member has one for sale , or knows of a deal on one,I would prefer to do business here. My collection has focused on Mil-Surps for the last few years and I like these rifles. Any one got a lead or suggestion what to watch for / avoid?

I have no real knowledge about the American market. However, I saw quite a few no. 5 "Jungle Carbines" in Australia, years ago. Almost all were fakes. Fine shooters, but no real collector's value. The no. 5 was an experimental weapon, that saw a little service in Korea, and was not that well regarded at the time. With so many fakes out there, I would strongly suggest you get a copy of Alan M. Petrillo's book on them, so you know what to start looking for. I imagine a genuine no. 5 would be very pricey.

That said, they are a very cool and super-handy little rifle. I would be quite happy with a fake, or even one of the RFI no2's that are being chopped-down into carbines now.

Whatever you get, I'd love to see pics and hear a little more about your research. Good luck!

Jungle Carbine

I have one. Love to shoot it. I paid $275.00 for mine. Wood needs work, though.
    Watch out for the ones that are an after-market modified No.4.
    They only made them 1944-1947 and the gun should nowhere have any
    No. 4 markings. They should have a No.5 marking electro-penciled on the
    left side of the receiver. They should also have some metal removed from the front of the receiver under the handguard. Do some research and you will
    see how to spot a real one. The back site should also only go up to 800,
    not 1200 like the No. 4. Makes a lot of noise and kick when shot. GET ONE!

Fopund some good reading on them this morning . I see a few good ways to detect a real one. Saw-cuts, Hollowed out knob, etc, I am scanning as we speek.

Hoping to find a Member who has one for sale .... Like dealing here with Known " Good-Guys"....

Heres a good read on Enfields:

http://enfieldrifles.profusehost.net/index.htm

I love the disclaimer.

WARNING
    The Lee Enfield rifle is extremely addictive. If the readers of these pages are so inclined to go out and purchase one, it will most likely lead to purchasing more. As the author of this page I cannot accept any responsibility. Please continue at your own peril.
    Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself!

Apparently the 7.62 no.2's, cut to no.5 size, are being called "no.7s". Nothing genuine about them, but still a fun little rifle. I think AIM was selling them super-cheap a little while ago. If I ever get the chance to check one out, up-close, I would be very tempted.

Patria, do you have a Link for AIM ??

QDM:

AIM are here: http://www.aimsurplus.com/
    Though it looks like they may be out of Ishapores. I did see an Ishy carbine on Gunbroker with a 'Buy Now' of $250, the other day.

Also, from what I have read, there were over 200,000 mk5's made by BSA in England in the mid-40s. Most of the fakes I saw in Australia were shortened Enfield no4's.

Oh, and the Holy Grail of collectables would have to be the Aussie Lithgow no.6 (I'm not sure if that was ever an official designation, as it was only a trial rifle). Unlike other Commonwealth counties, Australia continued to make no 1's, right up to the early 1950s. So, when it came time to see about a carbine version, we tried shortening some of these no1s. There were few than 100 made, and the model was never adopted.

If in doubt, remember to apply: Rule Three Oh Three
    Last edited by Patria Povo; 01-02-2008 at 03:22 PM.

Heres a real one and a copy - side by side.
    The no.5 is a BSA 1946
    Im not sure who did the conversion on the Ishy 2a but it is just like the ones AIM were selling, although I got this one a few years ago.
    This converted 2a is a fine shooter, it is made for the 7.62x51 round and is a chopped down no.1 Mk.3 Enfield type rifle which are great.
    I shoot the copy a lot - non-corrosive ammo and I like the No.3 sights.
    Jagman

New Recruit Private

JC

PM sent