Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CETME drop-in paddle mag release, version 4 complete

Veteran

CETME drop-in paddle mag release, version 4 complete

Don't ask about version three.

But here's four, along with one (made from an original mag well stub), and two (unfinished aluminum):

The original thread about the drop-in mag release project is here.

The design is simple, and I expect how it works is obvious from the picture. Here's a second one showing how the spring and paddle fit:

The piece is 1/8" aluminum stock and slides into the extension of the mag well where the button mag release assembly goes. It goes in narrow part first. The pin attached to the button release goes through the hole. There is a depression milled in the part around that hole so the spring has enough space. The paddle itself sits in the other milled depression. There is no need for a bushing, and the other side of the paddle rests against the inside of the mag well extension.

The hole in the second version worked fine to hold the paddle, but I switched to a shallow milled depression to make the part ATF-proof, so there is absolutly no way there is any "third hole" anywhere.

With a magazine inserted, the wide end of the piece contacts the back of the magazine, and holds the assembly still. With your off hand, you grasp the magazine front with your fingers, pull the paddle with your thumb, and the magzine ejects. Seems to work fine with both original and G3 mags.

Here it is in the rifle:

After going through a few versions of this, I do think that ultimately drilling the receiver and permanently installing the paddle mag release is the best option, but if you don't want to drill the receiver, or don't want to have to refinish the receiver, after you've drilled and welded it, this is functionally just the same, and you can make it for $5 of aluminum, a drill, a file, a hacksaw, and about 30 minutes.

If I decide to refinish the receiver someday a few thousand rounds down the road, I'll probably install the release permanently, but for now this gives me a working paddle release that's not too ugly once painted to match the receiver.
    Last edited by Malikovski; 02-06-2010 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Fixed pic links

Damned that is slick! I guess the push button keeps the aluminum piece from slipping out or the toggle from rotating into the magwell. Great job, I'm gonna put one in mine! Good thing I saved the toggle from the demill!
    COG Member #1069

"You have obviously got to learn that
    to be civil to a Frenchman is to be laughed at,
    and this I shall never submit to." Horatio Lord Nelson

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokehouse69 View Post
    Damned that is slick! I guess the push button keeps the aluminum piece from slipping out or the toggle from rotating into the magwell.
    Exactly. The push button pin that goes all the way through holds one end in, contact with the magazine holds the other end, so the only thing that can happen when you pull the paddle is the magazine being released. It seems like the assembly should rotate into the mag well as you pull the magazine out, but in practice it doesn't happen, because of the way you rotate the magazine slightly as you pull it out.

I think this system would actually work better on a stamped receiver, becuase you could hide most of it by leaving some metal along the sides of the paddle, but I don't have a stamped CETME to try it out with...

Well, I'll find out how it works on a stamped receiver. I should get mine finished this weekend (at least welded up.) I can do some trial fitting then.
    COG Member #1069

"You have obviously got to learn that
    to be civil to a Frenchman is to be laughed at,
    and this I shall never submit to." Horatio Lord Nelson

Veteran
    Thats really slick, I'm going to try this myself.

Good job,

Bill
    wspringfield@comcast.net
    Trigger work services for most military semi-auto rifles.

Veteran
    Glad some other folks are going to try this too. Please post your results here. I'm curious how it goes on other rifles, especially stamped. I think on a stamped rifle you could hide the big chunk of aluminum pretty well, not that you'll ever see it unless you turn the rifle upside down.

I'm happy with this version, but I may do one more if I can find 1/16" aluminum stock, so I can do a piece on each side of the paddle and center it better. I may also leave the back side unfinished and see if a little blue loctite can attach it securely but non-permanently.

Senior Veteran
    i dont have my rifle in front of me, but wouldnt you have to mill out some of the receiver in the mag-well area to get this to work?

regardless, that is one heck of a neat idea you came up with!

Awarded by a grateful public!

Great idea on how to add the paddle release. I will have to try it when I build mine.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter_la5 View Post
    i dont have my rifle in front of me, but wouldnt you have to mill out some of the receiver in the mag-well area to get this to work?
    On a stainless receiver no. No modification necessary. On a stamped, you will have to remove a rectangle of metal to accommodate the paddle, whether you try to do it drop-in or by drilling the receiver. My thought is that if you open it up just enough for the paddle, you'll be able to hide the drop-in parts with what remains of the receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter_la5 View Post
    regardless, that is one heck of a neat idea you came up with!
    Thanks. I hope others will find it useful as well. There are probably still a few bugs to work out, but I will take the CETME next time I hit the range and make sure it holds up to live fire, full mags, and all that.

nice job, have you thought about just a spot of jb weld to hold it in place? it might work better than locktite. just a thought.
    Fear my Boston, he's a little off.