Thread: Barrel Pressing Question???

Barrel Pressing Question???

I've seen barrels pressed with the trunion installed in the receiver and I've seen them installed into a bare trunnion, then installed into the receiver.
    What's the advantages of installing after the trunion is welded into the receiver?
    Is there a disadvantage or some diffulculty that can arise from installing it in the trunion first, then installing it in the receiver?
    COG Member #1069

"You have obviously got to learn that
    to be civil to a Frenchman is to be laughed at,
    and this I shall never submit to." Horatio Lord Nelson

rustypirate
    You will need to install the trunion into the receiver first in order to properly support the bolt carrier while checking bolt gap.

That is how it is done at the HK factory.

the people who have barrels pre-installed into the trunions usually have removed the barreled trunion from the old receiver stub and never removed the barrel in the first place.

Veteran

Post Smokehouse

The builds that I have personally done and/or been involved in were done with the trunnion and barrel method.

We have used a 12 ton press and recently a 20 ton press (China Freight) pushed barrels with a large Snap On brass punch perfectly centered and leveled on the barrel w/trunnion securely resting on the arbor plates perfectly leveled with enough space to allow barrel trough other side surface. we have our brass punched marked to get us extremely close to were we need to be to insure proper head spacing. but every know and then we have to push the barrels trough and start over again.

We have naught set up the presses to do trunnions in the receiver due to needing a longer brass punch getting different arbor plates and not being well versed in this type of installation. I hope this helps?

Veteran

Smile Rusty

We were doing clone PSG1 and MSG90 builds so we were using new trunnions and or trunnion extensions (BLK MKT) and (IGF) and longer, heavier barrels, with virgin PTR receivers.

Veteran
    The ease of pressing the barrel in the trunion without the receiver is the main reason that this method is used. As stated, HK would assemble the barrel into the completed receiver. HK has fixtures and are set up for this method. This could be for alignment of the bolt to the trunion, however in a production environment HK would have the completed, inspected, receivers in the production line and it would be assembling them. Welding at that time would not make any sense.

You could press the barrel into the trunion, check the gap, weld the trunnion into the receiver, and then recheck the gap prior to installing the barrel pin. The bottom line is that the gap is right after the rifle is assemblied. My guess is that pressing the barrel into the trunion and then welding to the receiver would also be used when making the receivers from flats.

I figured I would put mine most of the way in, put the trunnion into the receiver, then later adjust the barrel.