Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SuperSniperV.Millet TRS... Battle of the scopes!

SuperSniperV.Millet TRS... Battle of the scopes!

I remembered last time, whenever I bought my Super Sniper scope that k98 told me to look into the Millet TRS's... well I did, and read a lot on them, and finally, I bought one for my FNH PBR.

The test will be between a 4-16x50mm TRS-1 and a 10X fixed rear focus Super sniper scope, with the SS mounted on a Smith Ent mount sitting on my M14... and the TRS housed on my FNH PBR.

The super sniper is manufactured in Japan, while the TRS-1 is a Chinese scope... however quite an impressive Chinese scope. For the money you pay, these two scopes do have potential, and are capable of probably even competing!

These scopes have apparently been rivals... the Super Sniper, not only having a military contract backing it, but also being .50cal rated... and on the other hand, the TRS, having all the bells and whistles a scope might need. So which is better? That is the question.

lets start with the finish on the scopes...
    In the photos I took, the TRS seemed to have a red tint to it. Perhaps it was the sunset, but I don't ever see that reddish tint whenever I handle it.
    the Super Sniper has a flat black finish. Aside that, the TRS is huge compared to the SS!

both scopes seem to be durable, I know that the super sniper is durable, since i dropped my M14 in mud once and it held zero.

The turrets were completely different from each other. On one hand, the SS employed massive knobs for the shooter to operate even with gloves on. (like it'd ever get that cold in Texas...) The clicks were audible and they were accurate at 1/4 MOA. However one thing was that the clicks were "Mushy"... They felt like they had a weird spongy tension on them. Now I'd read that this was because SWFA would smother grease all over the insides of the turret knobs, so the turrets would operate just fine. A good thing is that there were marks under the turrets to indicate how many revolutions it had been turned... that way it would be easier for it to return to zero.

on the other hand, the TRS-1 had Leupold styled knobs. Still easily clicked, but they were 1/8MOA per click. Some people have a problem with them, I find them to work just fine. The clicks were clean and audible. Very easy to keep track of and were easier to loosen to set zero for a specific load... I like to have my rifles sitting on -2MOA elevation and 0MOA windage zeroed to Federal Gold Medal. These knobs were easier to lock on zero compared to the SS. It also featured a "Lock" for the turrets which would, as imagined, lock the turrets when at a certain setting. not sure how useful it would be, but this eliminated the elevation markings that the SS had. It would be harder to keep track of how many MOA's you'd clicked on it. Each revolution was 9MOA.

The side focus on the TRS-1 was much more useful than the rear focus on the SS. Since the TRS-1 may shoot from 4x-16x, with it on 16x, the side focus was much easier to use. At 10x, the SS's focus lacked definition to really be useful.

The reticles were different as well.
    The super sniper employed a traditional Army mil-dot... with .25mil dots i believe. Glass was clear for the SS and it was outstanding for use at night. light gathering was pretty nice... here's a pic from Christmas when I was in S. Tx:

on the other hand, the TRS had mil-dots what were accurate at 16x. These mil-dots had half mil dots that were to be aiding range estimation, it was quite a surprise when I found the TRS's light gathering abilities to be better than the SS. I guess it is after all a 50mm lens(the white aura was reflection from my camera lens, the image is actually quite clear)

one thing the TRS provided that the SS did not was an illuminated reticle. There are 12 settings: 1-10/off/NV. NV was where the green light is dim enough to not affect your night vision. The green made it easy for me to pick up from stuff in the background, while the NV kept my night vision alright. This will be a GREAT feature if you hunt with it. A problem I had with the SS was that at 10x and no illuminated reticle, it wasn't as good as the TRS was in low light. Now it ISN'T bad, but it ISN'T AS GOOD as the TRS. At night, the difference is clear:

So how did the face-off turn out?

This could mean two things: my range has variable gravity or I did a crappy job at reloading.
    actually I ran federal gold medal through the PBR and I was testing loads through the M14. I think the best the M14 will ever do is 1.5MOA... which is what gold medal gives it. (this was shot at 100m)

and the AK decided to chime in:

in it's defense... I didn't exactly let the barrel cool down enough... if you know what I mean...

Conclusion:
    I think the two scopes are good for different purposes. Though the TRS seems more versatile, it IS heavier, and it is is MASSIVE. The SS is .50 cal rated, so no worries with that on a semi auto, but the clicks are a bit mushier.
    I hope this review helps you if you're looking for either one scope... shoot safe!!

Henry
    Last edited by Player; 03-11-2008 at 11:44 PM.
    "For every minute, the future is becoming the past."
    -Thor Heyerdahl

Senior Veteran
    dude, good range report!

Awarded by a grateful public!

Excellent report! I like the Millet TRS scope, I looked one over at a gun show awhile back and have wanted one ever since. It would be a nice addition to one of my Enfields.
    Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself!

Nice work henry. Who have the Millet. I looked a little but couldn't find one.

I've seen them a little cheaper but CTD has them however they're out of stock at the moment. http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/38974-54213-1537.html
    Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself!

here's an extra
    -Thor Heyerdahl

Nice job on that comparison. I have a SS on my 10FP, but with the side focus. I do wish it had an illuminated reticle sometimes.

Great report! I recognize your M-14, by the way, from a picture you sent a few months ago. It's still sexy...
    USMC Uncle Sam's Misguided Children

im still trying to decide which to get! can some some give me some suggestions. I want to put a millet trs-1 or 10x super sniper on my remington 700 30-06

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    im still trying to decide which to get! can some some give me some suggestions. I want to put a millet trs-1 or 10x super sniper on my remington 700 30-06
    I just ordered a Falcon Menace 4-14x44mm FFP. I think it's a superior scope to either ones listed above.

I think I should give a follow up on these scopes... With a few more months put into the test, I think I personally prefer the 10x Super Sniper. It's a lot lighter than the Millett. The Millett isn't a bad scope, but with the similar price, I don't think the illuminated sights are worth the extra weight put onto it.

I will put a review on the Falcon as soon as I have a chance!!!!
    -Thor Heyerdahl