Thread: jp saur and sons .357 magnum

jp saur and sons .357 magnum

I am looking at buying a j.p. sauer(sp) and sons pistol. It was made in germany by j.p and sons, and it is in .357 magnum. It is a single action,western style revolver with all the original finish. What I would like to know is: has anyone had any experience with these? Are they good pistols? And is it worth $375? Is it ex-military or police?

JP Sauer and sons, is a german firm, at one time noted for making low budget pistols, and such, they have been making firearms though for a while, there are mauser rifles out there made by them too. But I think the company isnt makeing any more revolvers, thus I think this is a older model, before the combination to create SIG-Sauer.

Heres a article on a hawks/sauer and son revolver from guns and ammo

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/values/0801/index1.html

German Six-Shooter
    Q: I have a single-action revolver. It looks like--and has the same description as--a Hawes Montana Marshal .357. On one side is "LA Western Six Shooter--Model 357 magnum caliber." On the other side is "Made in Western Germany by J.P. Sauer & Sohn." Can you give me any information about this? --B.W., via e-mail

A: As Hawes revolvers were also manufactured by J.P. Sauer & Sohn, you have a version of that same gun, probably made for L.A. distributors. There were a number of different variants of the basic Sauer SAA, some of them quite garish with gold cylinders, blued frames, plastic "pearl" grips--you get the picture. Actually, the quality of these revolvers was just fine. Today they have value only as shooters.
    Now wether yours in in this class, I would search some more. From what I have read, lots of importers put their names on them. Herters and Hawes for two.

As for police or military use, I would doubt it. Unless carried by a officer, single actions by the sixties and seventies were very unpopular.
    Last edited by okie shooter; 04-07-2008 at 02:14 PM.
    Still building bigger and better bombs for your brighter tommrows(aw heck and takeing them apart and demilling them for that tommrow too)

I've had a few like that one. I payed under $300 but then again everythings more money now a'days. Good shooters if It still locks up good.
    If it ain't loaded it's just a rock in your pocket!

COG #1016 better late than never

This one looks brand new and operates like it has been shot very little. I believe it does say "L.A. western" on the one side. Thanks for the info guys. I think I will buy it and enjoy it as a shooter.