Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Retro AR's anyone?

Veteran

Retro AR's anyone?

I have 2 AR-15 Retro rifles that are in the Colt 604 configuration. I have 2 Colt M16 uppers (no foreward assist) on Olympic full fenced receivers. I'm waiting for NDS to come out with their slabside retro lower so I can configure 1 into a 601. Anyone else doing a retro? Here's a couple of sites that help nail down what's needed: www.retroblackrifle.com , www.totalsilenceinc.com

Charlie Don't Surf

I have been thinking about it...if NDS is coming out with a receiver I may do it.

Where is the glossary for understanding what you are saying? 601, 604, full fence If you have functional weapons, why would you re-do them in retro pattern? Do I understand what "retro" refers to even? I ask, because in all likelihood, some day soon, I'll add a poodler to my collection. Not sure whether to go for authenticity or accuracy when I kit it up. DCI and DPMS and Vulcan are locals for me. Neighbor down the road is a DPMS rep.

Hoot
    In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.

Veteran
    Retro refers to building a Vietnam era AR. A 601 was one of the first, no foreward assist, no fence around the mag release (slabside), 3 prong flash hider, smooth chromed carrier. A 604 was the Air Force version, which could have a full fence around the mag release as modern lowers do, but no foreward assist. It could have either the 3 prong or bird cage flash hider. They both have the triangular handguards and A1 short buttstock. As far as what's best, retro or modern? Dunno, but the only poodler that appeals to me is the retro. If you go to those sites I posted, you'll get a better understanding of the terms for retros.

My SP-1 is as retro as I'll get. I'm currently working on a carbine. Bushmaster lower, A-1 upper, 10" barrel with a 6.25" flash hider permanently attached. Haven't fully convinced myself to go with the collapsible stock, as the fixed stock doesn't look too bad.

Getting into Retro? I was just about to sell my Bushmaster A1 upper. Actually, the vietnam era uppers were huge at the last Gun show I was at. They were reasonable priced and in decent enough condition. I gave it some thought.
    COG#98

I've got an SP I and an SP II, so I think I'm all set on the retro-look for now. Currently have 9 uppers that are waiting on a couple receivers to arrive, but mainly focusing on the current M4 configuration....

BTW, it's about time the AR got a section all to itself.
    Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:6-7:

Yeh, my dad has a '68 Vietnam-vintage AR15 - forward assist without deflector, three-prong flash hider, old-style furniture, etc. Like the one he had over there 40 years ago.

Administrator
    One of these days I am going to have to add an AR type rifle to the collection. When I do I would like to go with a Viet Nam era type.
    " Little by little the look of the country changes because of the men we admire. "

HANG IN THERE
    WE'LL BE BACK!

When I was 1st assigned to 3rd Mar Div in 73 I was issued an XM16. No foreward assist. smoth carrier, three prong flash suppressor (Which we use to pop the wire wraps on a C rat case. Buttstock had no cleaning storeage recess. We called them Mattie Mattels for the toy company. In the States, we still used the M14. When you went through ITR and the range you were taught to throw your M14 buttstock out and break your fall to get in to a prone fire position . Then we went to 3rd Mar Div overseas and started snapping off or folding the buffer tubes LOL...