Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trunnion welding question...

Trunnion welding question...

I'm aware that the preferred method of welding a trunnion into a rec. is to drill holes in the rec. in 4 specified places,and Tig weld into the hole to attach,such as Hk does at the factory. HOWEVER,I've noticed 2 guns that were done differently at some shops lately. One was a stamped early Century,that when the h.g. was removed I noticed a nearly full circle weld around the FRONT of the trunnion to the edge of the receiver,looked solid and neat,and NO spot welds around the usual areas,just the line along the bottom. Also noted a Hesse gun with this same weld procedure,though the builder had cut 3 1" slots out of the front trunnion ring and welded down into those cuts,also looked neat and the gun had been fired extensively w/out ill effects,according to the owner,FWIW. No spot welds around the front ring on the Hessie either,just the usual side scallops welded in as customary. So what's up with this option? Seems the traditional weld-in-the-holes factory method would be simpler. Any foreseen detrimental effects for a build like this? Perhaps the trunnion not stable enough (receiver flex) for accuracy? Note the 3 short welds around this Hesse trunnion... g3 010.jpg
    Last edited by KidKalash66; 06-25-2008 at 06:24 PM.
    Buy the ticket,take the ride..... Dr.Hunter S.Thompson

i would think the front ring weld would be the best. maybe there is something to it....
    have cnc mills, will work for food.
    http://www.gunsnorthwest.com/

BUT,Hk did it the other way....hard to fight that logic I suppose.Until I saw Gunplumber's pictorial on how to do it the traditional way(wire weld in the holes),I always assumed they were spot welded by one of those auto-plant type robotic welders at the Hk facility,for speed and efficiency purposes...

Quote Originally Posted by KidKalash66 View Post
    BUT,Hk did it the other way....hard to fight that logic I suppose.Until I saw Gunplumber's pictorial on how to do it the traditional way(wire weld in the holes),I always assumed they were spot welded by one of those auto-plant type robotic welders at the Hk facility,for speed and efficiency purposes...

Where exactly did you find "Gunplumber's pictorial) I would like to see that.

Thanks
    BATTLEMENT ARMS
    www.battlementarms.com

Last edited by KidKalash66; 06-25-2008 at 08:46 PM.

rustypirate
    The "ring around the trunion" method of welding was done by Hesse and Century because it was time and effort expedient, not because it was better. both the Century and HK methods for welding the trunion was to use a spot welder with a custom jig.

Because we do not have access to such a jig, the closest way to replicate the proper welding technique is to drill holes in the receiver and plug weld the trunion and fill the holes.

You will also find that the Century and Hesse receivers were not drilled for the barrel pin access either, it was just plane lazyness.

HK might have gone the plug welding route because they were considering the possibility that the barrell and trunnion may have to be replaced in the future? It would be easier to grind out a couple of spot welds instead of trying to remove the weld line around the entire end of the trunnion.

I'm just speculating here...

Wouldn't it be more stable with the welds on the side rather than just the front? Making it more "one" with the receiver?
    Jamie

My speculation is simply the "big factory" reasoning by Hk and Santa Barbara(cetme) that they could trog along faster in assembly line fashion using a spot welder (big expensive device,even in the 50's) to attach the trunnion. If you do the math,same amount of material is attached either way,IMHO.Of course I haven't seen a machinists mathematical equation that would trump spot welds only a 1/4" farther back from the edge than the nearly 360 deg edge weld itself,hopefully there is such info published somwhere,I just haven't found it yet. It would be cool to do a back to back test of both methods by a competent builder,using the same quality parts,then test for accuracy and longevity.

I personally like the spot weld technique over welding the circumfrence. If the trunion ever needed to be replaced, removing the spot welds would be easier.