Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shipping ammo

shipping ammo

just wondering if anybody has ever shipped ammo and how you go about doing it? i just found out that federal gold medal match is running $44.95 a box in WI. at this point, it will be cheaper to just eat the $120 in baggage fees to check a second bag so i can bring my handloads with me, but then i thought...why not just ups them to my destination? (my brother lives there and can sign for them)
    i don't know how to do that though. i've never ups'd anything. any advice?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I don't believe you can check luggage with ammo present.
    Czar of all the Michigans
    In memory of Johnhttp://act.alz.org/goto/Weasel

you can ship it thru UPS, but you will need to go to a hub to do it. i had a copy of the hazardous sticker to put on the package, but i cannot find it. i think someone has a copy on 1919a4.com. just copy it and glue it on the package.
    last i heard was that fedex and usps will not allow shipping live ammo.
    good luck with your shooting and your trip. just be careful.

How to Ship Ammunition or Ammo by John Barth

There have been a lot of inquiries into how to ship ammunition and questioning whether you can ship it at all with today’s transportation laws. Well, we did some extensive research to get the correct answer for you and here it is:

According to UPS, shipping ammunition is allowed, but there are some stipulations. The stipulations are not put in place by UPS, but instead, by the Department of Transportation. The D.O.T. has a classification called Title 49 CFR that spells out the details. We have summarized those details for you specific to shipping ammunition. FedEx has the same requirements, but also wants you to include a “Shippers Declaration for Dangerous Goods” form which is on their site if you do a search for “Dangerous Goods Forms”. The USPS follows the D.O.T. requirements but in talking to some of the USPS locations, the managers stated they would not accept the packages anyway in this day and age, so we recommend only using UPS or FedEx to ship ammo.

Title 49 CFR states in Chapter 1, section 173.63 the packaging exceptions to full regulation. Under that section, (b) Cartridges, small arms, may be reclassed, and offered for transportation, and transported as ORM–D material when packaged in accordance with paragraph (b)(2) of this section; such transportation is excepted from the requirements of subparts E (Labeling) of part 172 of this subchapter. Cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices that may be shipped as ORM–D material is limited to:

Under this “limited to” section, there is item (i) Ammunition for rifle, pistol or shotgun; and (iv) Ammunition not exceeding 12.7 mm (50 caliber or 0.5 inch) for rifle or pistol, cartridges or 8 gauge for shot shells.

This is the critical part to shipping ammunition. If it is 50 caliber or less, or 8 gauge or less, UPS will take the shipment in a sturdy box marked with a ORM-D, Cartridges, Small Arms label on the outside of the box. UPS does recommend using this label as opposed to a regular ORM-D label from our research and inquiries to UPS themselves. Part 172, subchapter E states the label should be affixed near the shipping address location on the package. By placing it here, the carrier will see it as they direct the package to the correct location during shipment.

Now, under section 173.115, part (v) it states that cartridges, and 22 caliber rim-fire cartridges may be packaged loose in strong outside packaging. The label marking is the same as above.

There have been a lot of questions about Hazardous Material training for shipping ORM-D materials. This is a true fact. UPS or any other carrier does not require training. It is required by the D.O.T. and is listed under section 172.74 were the training can be performed by yourself and all you need to have is a documented record of the following:

Hazmat employee name
    Training date
    Copy of the training materials
    Name and address of person providing training (This can be yourself)
    A certificate showing the employee is trained. (This can be made in house)
    A description of the training is found at hazmat.dot.gov on the Internet without the www and click on rules and regulations. The key part of the in house training is you don’t have to pay someone to train you. Just read this section and put together the emergency contacts, and procedures in case there is a issue. Easy stuff. With that, anyone can ship ammunition with ease, and the correct way.

Key resources for this ammunition shipping guideline included UPS through their hazardous materials department at 800-554-9964, FedEx 800.463.3339 through Dangerous Goods, USPS local locations and the Department of Transportation Classification division at 800-467-4922 and the Office of Hazardous Materials Safety on line at hazmat.dot.gov were all the documentation is listed. Knowing how to ship ammunition or ammo the correct way is important. Please pass this information on. If you need any supplies for shipping ammunition, call Adazon today at 847-235-2700.

found it.
    Last edited by Planning; 02-17-2009 at 04:13 PM.

Make a sticky....
    COG #1018

rustypirate
    Make sure that you do not use an ORM-D-AIR sticker.

This is yet another HAZMAT classification, but I was told by a UPS representative that UPS may not accept ammo with this sticker because all ammo must ship ground.

This link presents a printable sheet of orm-d small arms cartridges:
    http://www.type03.net/ammo/orm-d-white-sheet.pdf

Just shipped a box of IMI 9mm +p yesterday. My first shipment of this kind. Drove 20 miles to the nearest hub. The young lady behind the counter asked if I had hazmat papers to go with the ORMD sticker. I asked her to look closer and see "small arms ammo" on the same sticker. No problem. $10.13 to ship a box of ammo inside another box about half the size of a shoe box. I got $29.00 for the ammo and $10.00 for shipping. LOOK ON YOUR PC FOR THE HOURS OF OPERATION OF YOUR NEAREST HUB! I didn't so I made a trip over there to find they were only open from 4pm-6pm! We stopped in Toccoa (Band of Brothers)and checked out the Super Wal-Mart for an hour then went back.
    It always looks darkest.....just before it goes totally black.
    COG# 11M1P

Most airlines will allow shipment of ammunition if it is properly packaged. Heck, it would devastate the Alaska hunting industry if people couldn't bring their handloads. Alaska Airlines allows up to 50 lbs! Check your airline's website for specifics.