Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed

Advice needed

Ok, now I am in a quandary,

I am stuck deciding between three rifles as my next purchase:

1. CETME
    2. AR-15
    3. Golani (Galil)

I am looking for a MBR type rifle that is reliable (relatively speaking of course), easily maintained, accurate and with parts availability.

All three can be found here: http://classicarms.us/

any help would be greatly appreciated.

To the admins: Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place
    "The clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy, but does not allow the enemy's will to be imposed on him."
    - Sun Tzu

I would want all three, but that is me, of the three, the one in the shortest supply it seems is the CETME, but many more G-3's are out there. Technically only one is a MBR, as the other two are technically copies of assault rifles(by the purest definition of MBR, full power cartrage)

Thus in the future the AR will be most common, as they are made here, and still in production.

Next in numbers is the Golni, as there are still kits out there, but that is a fixed somewhat number. The importation of those kits could always end too, thus ending the supply.

The hardest will be the CETME, as I believe no more kits are forthcomeing, thus the suggestion of g-3 type rifles(PTR-91 for example), but not sure about the number of kits floating around there for commerical production.

Thus if you want one, new, now maybe the time, other wise you are on the used market.
    The Golani would be second on my list.
    The ar will be in production here unless banned. Thus third if avaiblity is an issue.

IMHO, though which one do you feel most enamored with?
    Still building bigger and better bombs for your brighter tommrows(aw heck and takeing them apart and demilling them for that tommrow too)

I agree with oakie but remember .308 is not getting any cheaper and in the long haul parts might become an issue with the cetme or golani. go with your gut.
    LOCKED&LOADED COG#1075 I don't know who's more stupid, the idiots thinking they can get free Obama money out of the back of a 99c store, or the idiots thinking they can get rich by stealing the identities of welfare recipients.

I really like the CETME. I am ex-military and have found that I prefer a full power cartridge. I am not, nor have I ever been a proponent of the 5.56 outside of the fact that you can carry more.

My one hang up on the CETME is the reports of serious problems with headspace and ground bolts. When I called Classic Arms they claim that Century says that they have addressed and subsequently fixed the issue. If that is in fact true then the CETME is my first choice.
    "The clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy, but does not allow the enemy's will to be imposed on him."
    - Sun Tzu

IMOH,the CETME is well beloved here,AND reliable,but unless you plunk down serious scratch for a PTR-91 or pre ban Hk,you'll have a questionable gun from a milsurp dealer that MAY need tweeking,so unless you're the tinkering type,nada.Also,good 7.62x51 surplus is sketchy to come by and over .50 a round. The Golani is a tad pricey at $700 or so retail,AND also a Questionable Century engineered rig,but cheaper to shoot. The AR platform I then suppose is a no brainer,a decent DPMS could be had for @$650,or a lower from them for a hundred or so and an easy to assemble kit for $450 or so to add to the receiver.And configuration/accessories,endless! I've owned a Colt,Bushmaster and DPMS and find all to be equals. Of course my personal fave is my kit built G3 copy from a demilled Hk,but then again I'm the tinkering type I mentioned above.The ammo prices are biteing me in the a** though!
    Buy the ticket,take the ride..... Dr.Hunter S.Thompson

I am the tinkering type. Never quite satisfied until my guns are shooting just right...
    - Sun Tzu

I agree that the CETME is the only MBR in the group. I guess it depends on what you already have. IMHO, you should not be w/o an AR platform rifle in the inventory. Ya' gotta have at least one and build the collection from there.

I do not agree that the 5.56 is an unacceptable round. W/mil bullets, they are questionable. With decent soft points the 5.56/.223 is quite devastating on thin skinned game (2 and 4 legged).

With that said, I am fortunate enough to have two AR's an HK-91 and a CETME. Hands down, my favorite is the HK. Accurate and powerful.
    I am not a sheep, I am not food. You can kill me but you cannot eat me.

Ghost225, my opnions for my self, are I have two CETME's and four ar's, and no Golani. I have plenty of 223 aks though thus not as much lust for a Golani. I would say any of the three would be good choices. Just as I stated above finding a CETME new is harder and harder.
    Still building bigger and better bombs for your brighter tommrows(aw heck and takeing them apart and demilling them for that tommrow too)

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post

I do not agree that the 5.56 is an unacceptable round. W/mil bullets, they are questionable. With decent soft points the 5.56/.223 is quite devastating on thin skinned game (2 and 4 legged).
    not to get off topic but i seen somewhere that Stoner had intended the 5.56 to be a tumbling round,and was loaded with a light charge.our wonderful military couldn't handle the fact that the AR would not quite reach 400 yards in its original load, so they added more powder to reach the 400 yard mark which in turn made the bullet to fast to tumble the way Stoner intended it too.

as for which rifle,i like my AR,easy on the pocket and fun.lots of different goodies for it.
    but i LOVE my CETME,rough on the pocket,but worth it IMHO.

Based on availability of ammo and parts alone, buy an AR 15. Having said that, the CETME is my favorite rifle but the ammo is just too dear(freakin expensive).