Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way for protecting parts

Best way for protecting parts

I've been cleaning up a lot of stuff lately by pouring boiling water over it to loosen the cosmo. If there's crevices I let it soak in the water for a while. Once it's out, I let it sit for a few minutes to let the water evaporate. Once it's pretty much dry I just hose it down with rem oil and wipe where I can reach. If there's somewhere I can't reach with a cloth or paper towel I just make sure I spray the oil thick there. Is there a better way to do this? Maybe use brake cleaner or carb cleaner first to dry it out or even WD40 then oil?

I'm a big fan of low odor mineral spirits in a tub with an array of different form-f actor brushes. It evaporates cleanly, but not too fast like HFC and CFC based solvents, even though I prefer them if money is not an issue. I cant stand the smell of either MEK Toluene, or Acetone though they are effective also. Mineral Spirits were a lot better a year ago before it doubled in price. I used to get gallons for like $2.99. Now it's around $7.00 a gallon around here. The high odor version is a lot cheaper, but being stuck indoors with the temp outside in the teens, the low odor is the way to go. It's also great for wet sanding, but don't use the same stuff you saved after removing the cosmoline. Too much oil suspended in it. Once you've committed a gallon or two for removing cosmoline, keep it just for doing that in the future, or degreasing et al.

Hoot
    In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.

you can blow it with an air hose & alcohol works good also .
    clark COG#148 ,ar15,ak,sks,beretta neos, windicator,girsan 1911,others.

Rest In Peace Cimmaronkid cimmaronkid's Avatar
    If you got a buddy that is a mechanic, ask to use his parts cleaner wash. Really removes the gunk and he also has an air gun that you can use to blow the parts dry with.

Take a 12 pack and you can get him to do it for you after hours. Keeps your hands cleaner that way!
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this dis.." Final words of Union General John Sedgwick before being killed by a Confederate sniper.

The pump, parts washer gets my vote, makes soaking and cleaning parts a breeze.

P.S. the best way to preserve the metal after you get it all cleaned is to dip it into a heated vat of liquid comomoline. I am always impressed how they apply it to all of the machinery here when we put it into layaway though.
    Last edited by okie shooter; 04-06-2007 at 11:13 PM.
    Still building bigger and better bombs for your brighter tommrows(aw heck and takeing them apart and demilling them for that tommrow too)

Administrator
    After cleaning, I spray my kits with Birchwood Casey Barricade( used to be called Sheath) this has worked well for the last few years. Cosmo would be better for longer term storage of course.But it is so darn messy.
    " Little by little the look of the country changes because of the men we admire. "

HANG IN THERE
    WE'LL BE BACK!

I was just jokeing about reapplying the cosomoline though
    Still building bigger and better bombs for your brighter tommrows(aw heck and takeing them apart and demilling them for that tommrow too)

Is cosmo so bad?

When I cleaned my surplus mags I left the cosmo on the spring. Will that cause a problem?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil6304 View Post
    When I cleaned my surplus mags I left the cosmo on the spring. Will that cause a problem?
    Thanks
    Hard to say. How much was there to start with? Was it ladled on like biscuit gravy or barely detectable? With any grease, cosmoline included, the concern is that it has a sticky surface that foreign particles like dust and dirt adhere to. You haven't accomplished much if you fastidiously clean off the cosmoline and put a different grease right back on, in its place. Everyone has their favorite process for dealing with magazines. In my case, since I don't clean and re-lube my magazines nearly as often as the firearm they're out of, I prefer to use some form of dry lube on their insides. There are plenty of spray on variations of dry lube and each has their following. For metal magazines, I'm fond of aerosol born teflon lubricants like GC TFE-COAT
    In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.

I use Purple Power to clean off cosmo or low odor mineral spirits with a green scrubie