Thread: new g3 sight

new g3 sight

well finally got around to welding g3 rear sight let me tell you it was a pain not having an extra set of hands but still not that bad, the base would not center it self it was all over the place but i used some lapping compound and it worked like a charm i kick my self in the ass for selling my tig, the mig does the job but tig i much prettier.
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    HK PERFECTION

we gonna try her out? ha ha

well took her to the range and she shoots way to the left and my rear sight is maxed out i guess the front sight is off
    HK PERFECTION

Veteran

sight off

Grind it off. Use a laser sight to get it close. Tack it down and check it at the range. If ok weld solid. The laser sights can not be beat for lining the sights up.
    Lloyd

i really dont want to grind off again, i think the front sight is off, does the front sight have windage adjustment?
    HK PERFECTION

The CETME front sight pin is offset so that you acan correct windage and elevation by rotating the screw. There is not much of a windage adjustment however.
    Some people are like a slinky...

Not really good for anything, but fun to push down the stairs.

Veteran
    A CETME has a small amount of windage from the eccentric screw. The G3 has no windage adjustment. You have to drive out the pin and melt the silver solder.

New Recruit Private
    Sounds to me from your post that you got excited and jumped the gun. I have done it too. You start on a fun project, get hours into it,skip meals, and at the climax you can't find any help so the hell with it you try anyway.

I think the best thing that you can do is chop the drum off and start over. Set up a target a few meters from the rifle, pull the stock and guts out of the rifle. Line the bore up with the target, keep a level handy to make sure everything is straight. Get a buddy and some sort of adhesive. Have your buddy stand to the side and adjust the placement of the sight, while you check that the sight and bore are aligned with the target. When its straight let it dry for a day.

Have your buddy return incase you need help. Re-check the site and bore alignment. Tack weld one side and check again. If its straight weld her down, if not adjust with a hammer and piece of wood.

The HK rear site drum can be adjusted for elavation with a special tool or a hemostat.