Thread: started a new build

started a new build

i recently undertook a fal build. i got the idea to build a target rifle on the fal platform.

there was a bit of talk of it in another thread, but i was not too quick to divulge details, as, like i said, if i end up putting all of this work into it and end up with a run of the mill 3-4 moa fal, its not really a story. but, i figured wtf, and decided to do a build thread.

basically, after deciding on a target rifle, i started looking into it, with most people that own "target rifle " fals, with scoped receivers, heavy barrels, and free floated handguards, report that its still nothing more than a 3moa at best fal. yet, other than the free float handguards and heavy barrels, ive never heard of anyone doing any real work to accurize one. i started thinking, if you worked on it like you would a remington m700, and treated it as such, would the rifle know it was really a fal? would the rifle know it cant shoot tighter than 3moa?

so i started my build yesterday by installing the locking shoulder. yes, i know what i just said, that was not an error, and i know the traditional method of assy.

so if your interested in following along and see what happens, good or bad, ill be posting as i go. fell free to follow along. i will be posting the build thread and all updates on these 2 sites:

http://www.weaponsguild.com/forum/in...?topic=22667.0

http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/...;f=20;t=27017;

*****note: i am not positive that none of this has been done before, but in all the research ive done, which wasnt exhaustive, but was quite a bit, ive never seen mention of anything of this nature. dont mean to step on any toes if someone HAS actually tried any of this before.

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    i recently undertook a fal build. i got the idea to build a target rifle on the fal platform.

there was a bit of talk of it in another thread, but i was not too quick to divulge details, as, like i said, if i end up putting all of this work into it and end up with a run of the mill 3-4 moa fal, its not really a story. but, i figured wtf, and decided to do a build thread.

basically, after deciding on a target rifle, i started looking into it, with most people that own "target rifle " fals, with scoped receivers, heavy barrels, and free floated handguards, report that its still nothing more than a 3moa at best fal. yet, other than the free float handguards and heavy barrels, ive never heard of anyone doing any real work to accurize one. i started thinking, if you worked on it like you would a remington m700, and treated it as such, would the rifle know it was really a fal? would the rifle know it cant shoot tighter than 3moa?

so i started my build yesterday by installing the locking shoulder. yes, i know what i just said, that was not an error, and i know the traditional method of assy.

so if your interested in following along and see what happens, good or bad, ill be posting as i go. fell free to follow along. i will be posting the build thread and all updates on these 2 sites:

http://www.weaponsguild.com/forum/in...?topic=22667.0

http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/...;f=20;t=27017;

*****note: i am not positive that none of this has been done before, but in all the research ive done, which wasnt exhaustive, but was quite a bit, ive never seen mention of anything of this nature. dont mean to step on any toes if someone HAS actually tried any of this before.
    I read your work on Weaponsguild. Well done. Do let us know if you are planning to rent the facing tool you made out or if you are willing to make another for a reasonable fee.

R
    Mangler of loose parts and perfectly good parts kits

Just went over and glanced on one of those threads. Looks very interesting so far.
    "Without gunpowder there can be no freedom!"
    -German-American proverb during the War of Independence

COG# 1961

thank you.

progress has pretty much stalled lately. spent a few days in the hospital, then a month recovering from surgery. healed up just in time to catch the end of hunting season, and after that its been cold as all hell in the garage. hope to get it going again once it warms up in the spring, and have it running for summer. i dont think the whole project is really going to require a lot more machining, but gathering extra cash may be an issue.

Good Luck. I'm really impressed when you set out to build your own FAL.
    There's a professionally made Target FAL at GunBroker. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=271226139 I seriously considered it, but I have 2 FAL's now and I wanted another CETME style.
    I bought a PTR-91 from Centerfire Systems. After the story by El Destructo and how Centerfire stepped up and refunded his money, I decided I'd buy through them. Then I didn't want to invest any more right now. The seller said he started with a new FAL and had a Krieger barrel added. The photos are quite impressive, and he says it's very accurate. Shows it's possible to make a target accurate rifle form a FAL platform.

Your gas adjustment also affects MOA and you could work up different bullets and powder charges to improve accuracy! With each different bullet weight and powder charge you need to try different gas adjustments. We use that process on M1A's and M14's and the results are great. It is time consuming though!

I cannot remember the moto over there at the guild and tried to post. What the heck is it?
    We have never needed any new laws to govern decent law abiding citizens!

Just to enforce the old laws on the NEW ARRIVALS!

Imperial Marine Stormtrooper Perro Del Diablo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rpmfly2 View Post
    Your gas adjustment also affects MOA and you could work up different bullets and powder charges to improve accuracy! With each different bullet weight and powder charge you need to try different gas adjustments. We use that process on M1A's and M14's and the results are great. It is time consuming though!

I cannot remember the moto over there at the guild and tried to post. What the heck is it?
    I couldnt read it on Weaponsguild, everytime i go over there i find out that my username does not exist, so i read the thread from homegunsmith site.

Out of curiosity only, not meant as any type of criticism, just trying to wrap my head around one thing.
    why did you install the locking shoulder and lap the bolt to the locking shoulder without the barrel installed? I get that you need the back of the bolt making full contact with the locking shoulder before you lap the face of the bolt, but odds are that locking shoulder is not going to be the correct size once you install the barrel, and you are going to end up removing that locking shoulder and replacing it with a new one, or grinding the existing one to size, which would require you to lap the bolt and locking shoulder again and couldnt that throw off the surface of your bolt face that you trued off the locking shoulder you drove in before barrel install?

curious how you plan to work that out?

I will be very interested to see the results when finished

Quote Originally Posted by Perro Del Diablo View Post
    I couldnt read it on Weaponsguild, everytime i go over there i find out that my username does not exist, so i read the thread from homegunsmith site.

Out of curiosity only, not meant as any type of criticism, just trying to wrap my head around one thing.
    why did you install the locking shoulder and lap the bolt to the locking shoulder without the barrel installed? I get that you need the back of the bolt making full contact with the locking shoulder before you lap the face of the bolt, but odds are that locking shoulder is not going to be the correct size once you install the barrel, and you are going to end up removing that locking shoulder and replacing it with a new one, or grinding the existing one to size, which would require you to lap the bolt and locking shoulder again and couldnt that throw off the surface of your bolt face that you trued off the locking shoulder you drove in before barrel install?

curious how you plan to work that out?

I will be very interested to see the results when finished
    this is exactly the problem im talking about. i hear talk about how the fal is inherently inaccurate, yet no one seems to be able to see past the fact that its a fal to try to make anything better. again, im starting with a barrel blank that i will thread to the action. every one just seems to accept that you buy your off the shelf barrel, and hope for the best to get a ls close. i dont see how that is acceptable for a precision rifle, and i can see how a platform such as this would suffer accuracy problems.

whe you set out to build a heavy barrel target rifle out of a remington 700, you donr screw in a chambered barrel and then go through a barrel of bolts hpoing youll find one that will headspace "close enough", and i dont think you should have to do the same for a fal.

hopefully this will pay off, only time will tell. hopefully it will warm up soon and i can get the barrel started. the first cuts are going to be tricky, since as it sits, its a bit too big to fit in my lathe, and will need some work arounds to get it cut.