Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It has gotten quiet aroind here.

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderline View Post
    We rescue Pitbulls and I take them to the desert to run so I frequent the trigger trash piles and pick up brass. Funny, back during Sandy Hook when .22 was short, all people shot was .22!?? Now? I'll still find brass but only like a mag or two worth. City slickers drive all the way out to the desert to shoot 10, 15 rds then go home. Lots and lots of shotgun hulls though.

Couple jobs back, during the Obama years, I used to commute to work 1 day, work 7 days, then commute home. Right about half way was a pretty good shooting range where people did a lot of shotgun shooting in some big bermed bays. My favorite way of breaking up the drive was to stop there and nail empty hulls offhand with a .22 pistol.

The 100 and 200 yard clanger range was nice too but I was a lot shorter on rifle ammo then so I tended to shoot .22 instead. These days I shoot both but less often because I'm not driving right by a range every week!

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by scottz63 View Post
    Yup, looks like stuff is starting to come back in stock at several places.
    I'm looking forward to a decent supply of powder coming back. I have a couple reloading projects to pursue and need some powder I don't have.

The long time storefront in Alamogordo usually has a good supply when stuff is available, been checking there every couple weeks. Lots of shooters around here, but it doesn't get near the load of frantic first timers and the rest of the crazy element like you get in the Albuquerque big box stores.

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jdowney View Post
    ... I have a couple reloading projects to pursue and need some powder I don't have...
    If you're looking to reload 9mm, and/or want to experiment with a surplus powder that might work in 30 caliber centerfires, you might want to check out Jeff Bartlett's site (http://www.gibrass.com/index.html). He has new powder for 9mm (BR-5) and surplus IMR-7383 available at decent prices. IMR-7383 was a replacement for IMR-4831 in the 50 cal spotter round (https://cartridgecollectors.org/cmo/cmo08dec.htm). The powder has some quirks but there's info on the web regarding how to handle those peculiarities. He also has some really slow surplus powder that might be useful in the big magnums.
    The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you.

Quote Originally Posted by jdowney View Post
    I'm looking forward to a decent supply of powder coming back. I have a couple reloading projects to pursue and need some powder I don't have.

The long time storefront in Alamogordo usually has a good supply when stuff is available, been checking there every couple weeks. Lots of shooters around here, but it doesn't get near the load of frantic first timers and the rest of the crazy element like you get in the Albuquerque big box stores.
    Powder Valley has some Norma powder. I bought some Norma 201 for my 5.56 and 7.62.

https://www.norma-ammunition.com/en-us/reloading-data

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/prod...keless-powder/
    Last edited by luigi; 03-15-2021 at 10:50 AM.

all my reloader friends say powder isnt hard to come by.... its still a primer issue for them.
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Senior Veteran
    Heh.... your reloader friends haven't been looking for powder then. Midway is out, Powder Valley is mostly out, local suppliers tend to be out. You usually use the same primer for a variety of loads for which you might use a different powder and I've noticed most reloaders keep more powder on hand than they do primers.

One of the Norma powders that luigi mentions would do for my needs, I think, but I'm not a very experienced reloader so I was hoping to go with some of the more mainstream rifle powders for which there is ample discussion and recipes out on the net - RL17, 4350, etc. Those are no where to be found. That chart is actually pretty cool too, just as a general orientation of how various powders compare. I'm tempted to try the Norma stuff (thanks!) and would be sure to do it if they had both of the ones I'd try in stock - but they only have the lower pressure one so I'm on the fence.

I do think this is temporary however. It is likely caused by ammunition makers buying up the supply, just like it tends to be with primers.

I also have to wonder how many new shooters have stocked up on primers and powder with the vague theory of doing some reloading one day. That happens a lot during these buying binges.

^^^ yeah thats probably on point.

they all have jugs of powder in different types/rates, lots of brass & plenty of bullets.... primers seem to be what none of them have stockpiled.

funny enough: they have big chunks of lead laying around & several of my friends still cast lead bullets.

After my last look I thought I might be out of .40 S&W, low on 22lr and ,222 rem. Most all my containers of ammo are marked, but found a few what I call overflow containers of misc ammo.
    In them was several hundred rds of .40, 1,000 rds+ of .22lr and boxes of .222 rem. Now I can sit this shortage out without any worries. I have one large container I can't lift to get out I
    have not open in 10 years. Wonder what surprises are in it (LOL).
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by sdk1968 View Post
    ^^^ yeah thats probably on point.

they all have jugs of powder in different types/rates, lots of brass & plenty of bullets.... primers seem to be what none of them have stockpiled.

funny enough: they have big chunks of lead laying around & several of my friends still cast lead bullets.
    I've got about a ton of lead sitting around too, mostly old telescope counterweight bricks. I used to cast bullets at one telescope where I worked until someone grumbled about the flux smoke (wasn't using a smokeless flux then). Kinda got out of the habit then but still would collect the lead when it was available. The mechanic at one of our telescopes didn't like lead weights but thoroughly approved of making bullets out of them I used to grab some every time I was over at that site (should have been last summer, but the whole plague panic changed everything).

Lead works great in lever guns and such. I understand you can also paper patch it with smokeless and load to jacketed velocities, but that is more of a single shot rifle thing I think. You can't do a hard crimp on paper so if there's a magazine the bullets in it might creep under recoil. Never tried any of that though so I don't know. I may try some of that when I get some bolt guns built. I have parts to build about three on Mauser 98 actions, going 308 with one, 270 with another. Haven't decided on the third yet. Might try to find a .277 mold and do some lead+paper with that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    After my last look I thought I might be out of .40 S&W, low on 22lr and ,222 rem. Most all my containers of ammo are marked, but found a few what I call overflow containers of misc ammo.
    In them was several hundred rds of .40, 1,000 rds+ of .22lr and boxes of .222 rem. Now I can sit this shortage out without any worries. I have one large container I can't lift to get out I
    have not open in 10 years. Wonder what surprises are in it (LOL).
    Just like Christmas!

J,

so were these the big counterweights on the telescopes on cables? or like the kind used on garage doors?

most of the blocks of lead ive given people have been counterweights on lab hood doors. they are usually 4" x 4" x 24" or 36" long.