Thread: No Matter What ...

No Matter What ...

Well to be honest this last year I gained some extra tonnage ... Moving Building house etc ... To many excuses ... So I am going back to basics ... Started walking again ... Anyone one else on this road... I do not need to run Marathons or Box these days but I need to be better fit... Anyone else want to join in we can offer support, encouragement or just a kick in the ass when we need it ... Anyone else on this road ?

Two years ago in March I started having problems staying asleep. My heart was pounding so hard it caused my eyes to pulse and it woke me up. This went on for a couple weeks before I saw my Dr. Doc put me on medicine for blood pressure and blood sugar (pre-diabetic).

The day after I saw the Dr. I started walking stairs at work for 10 minutes, three times a night. Walked up and down as many times as I could in 10 minutes at breaks and lunchtime. I also started watching what I was eating, cutting out sugar completely and ate only a modified KETO diet (basically as much meat and protien as I wanted but no carbs). After two weeks of stairs I started exercising at home on my wife's Nustep (physical therapy machine) every day for 20 minutes, then I took the dog out for a walk. I needed the dog with me so I wouldn't look like a creepy old dude that walks around the neighborhood.

Two months later (May) when I saw the doc again for my work physical I'd already lost 40 pounds. My blood work was fantastic and he told me to stop the meds. I told him that I only took them for a couple weeks in the beginning and stopped them on my own because the side effects sucked.

About that time I started doing floor excercises to build up core strength alternating the days with the Nustep, still walking the dog 7 days a week. In December my wife's friend sold me a very nice treadmill that was collecting dust in her kitchen so I added it into my workout mix. 2 days a week Nustep, 2 days treadmill, two days floor excercises, one day off. Workout are now 30 to 40 minutes per session.

The next March (2020) I finally made my weight goal of loosing 60 pounds. I'd dropped to 180. I felt good but looked terrible (according to everyone else). I got tired of everyone whispering that I had cancer so I went back up to 195. I still follow the same exercise routine, 6 days a week. My resting heart rate is right around 55 bpm and falls into the 40's when I sleep. I walk the dog a couple miles every day. I'm looking forward to my physical in May to see how my blood tests come out.

Now that I've said all that, I will add that I HATE exercising every day. The time I have to work in my shop (free time) has been cut in half. OTOH, when I retire in the next 5 years or so I'll be healthy enough to enjoy it. Another positive outcome is that I no longer take any prescription or over the counter medications, even stuff I had been on for >30 years. I can also eat foods that I was allergic to before.
    Last edited by holescreek; 03-30-2021 at 03:19 PM.

I'm starting to walk the LONG way to work (home & back) these days. Instead of taking the 30' shortcut to the back door, I walk up the block, turn a block, turn another block, and come to the front door. About 2/10th's of a mile THAT way. I figure it's good for me.
    We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other. - John Adams, 2nd U.S. President -

I can’t run due to my knee but got back into biking and I forgot how fun it is even put new bike on layaway lol. Easier on the joints and my knees won’t Throb at night.
    IS THERE A SECTION FOR MY DEATH STAR ON MILITARYFIREARM.COM?

[QUOTE=holescreek;381181]--------------------------

"The next March (2020) I finally made my weight goal of loosing 60 pounds. I'd dropped to 180. I felt good but looked terrible (according to everyone else). I got tired of everyone whispering that I had cancer so I went back up to 195. I still follow the same exercise routine, 6 days a week. My resting heart rate is right around 55 bpm and falls into the 40's when I sleep. I walk the dog a couple miles every day. I'm looking forward to my physical in May to see how my blood tests come out."

----------------------------------

One of the many side effects I got from the Rocky Mountain Fever, medicine screw up, etc, some months back was I lost my taste for food and had no appetite. The first 30 lbs I lost were extra pds I did not need, but
    when the weight lost continued (down around 45-50 lbs) I started getting comments I was too thin and did not looked good. Although I am still almost never hungry my taste buds are somewhat working again and I
    can at least taste what I am eating. I don't know about you, but the weight loss hollowed out my face a fair amount and I believe that was what folks were noticing. I am working on not loosing any more weight.
    On the plus side the weight lost was lbs was good for my damaged knees and back no no longer had to cart it around, plus good for BP.

Exercise is something I have to carefully work up to. I still suffer some from the bone fracture that happen around the same time and there was no quick recover from the severe infections/swelling it caused
    in the lower legs. They have gotten much better as time goes by. I have used my Polaris to get around the extensive lanes/trails on my place and my brother's adjacent farm. Always accompanied by my
    Corgi, who loves the trips. If he gets impatient he will actually pull on my coat, which I usually hang on a chair, and try to bring it to me telling me it is time to go. Anyway, as things improve I have
    decided on those trips where I did not need to haul anything I should start walking the lanes to check on my lower property and stop by my brothers homesick. It would be good for me and I can take
    my time and set my distance based on how I feel. My little buddy is just as happy following me on foot as following me in the Polaris.
    Last edited by Buckshot; 03-30-2021 at 09:22 PM.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

I am slowly working my way back ... Currently walking 20 minutes a day "No Matter What" in Oct I was biking everyday ... It amazes me how fast the pounds and lost of Breath came ... But if I stay the course I will be back later then sooner ... My goal is no more injuries and even though I HATE exercising I want to look forward to the me time... Even though I am young by some standards I will never be 18 again ... I am going to have to figure out how to shoot with glasses ... I hope everyone has a great day

If you want to be successful, get yourself a cheap little spiral bound pocket type note book and keep a daily log. It takes just two lines for each day's entry and the book will last >1 year.

Every night just before I go to bed I take my blood pressure and record it. The next morning I record my weight and the number of hours I slept. After exercising I record my max heart rate and any specific details related to the exercise if necessary. On my day off when I don't exercise, I write "nothing". I sometimes make a quick note about any medicine taken or abnormality from the day. I never record my walks, I have a watch that tracks that stuff.

The log book becomes addictive when you see your progress. If the "nothings" start piling up you can see what you have to change. The log is meant for your eyes only so there's no right way to do it.

Well Monday I will have to increase my walk ... going up to 30 minutes ... Getting easier to walk the twenty ... Hopefully soon back on Bike and walking ..