Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Indian 7.62 Warning

Charlie Don't Surf

Indian 7.62 Warning

Indian 7.62 Nato ammuniation has been known to cause many problems, to include destorying weapons. The headstamp OFV made in the 1990's and into the 2000's were imported after been swept up off the floor.

Here is a quote from Perro that he got from an industry insider.

the indian army found the ammo to be bad, so they turned all of it in, and it sat on the floor of a wearhouse (loose, not even in boxes)
    all the years that were causing the indian army problems were turned in.
    a US distrubutor bought the ammo, and when they found how many of them were UNSHOOTABLE, they complained, and the indian army sent them some more from other years to make up for the bad rounds (and this is where the 02 dated stuff came from)

More on the subject:

http://www.militaryfirearm.com/Forum...read.php?t=385

I'm still looking for the pictures we had on the old site.

There was a MG42, a 1919a4, a Cetme and a M14 that were destoryed by shooting Indian ammo.

Attachment 943

Attachment 944

Attachment 945

Attachment 946

Attachment 947

Here's a picture of some of the Indian crap (ammo?) that I culled out of the last batch. This stuff was dated 1998. Looks like the Indian Quality Control dude was out sleeping under the shade provided by his camel. Blaster (Bob in So. CO)

Veteran
    Holy crap...doesn't surprise me though. It amazes me no ones been killed by this crap yet (that I know of).

Veteran
    That damage ain't so bad, it'll buff out...

My question is who wouldn't check the rounds first? I mean, those things are seriously junk rounds.
    FujiFilm-Dimatix Cleanroom Drone, Designation XN50P

COG#1007

All ideas or beliefs expressed in this post are those of the poster. This poster takes full responsibility for said ideas or beliefs.

everyone on surplusrifle.com says this stuff is ok, no one will believe otherwise. who had the pic of the double "rim" round like a week ago?

Quote Originally Posted by kevin917z View Post
    everyone on surplusrifle.com says this stuff is ok, no one will believe otherwise. who had the pic of the double "rim" round like a week ago?
    Kevin, I think the problem is, (read perros poast on this http://www.militaryfirearm.com/Forum...6&postcount=13 )there were the two groups of indian brought in to the country, the bandolered stuff from the seventies, and the late ninties and newer in the bags/loose. The comments on the new stuff all point to problems in production at the factory, the earler stuff was excessed due to age.(boy and the cans I see of it say its been in and out to the field alot, they are weathered for sure). The guys on the fal board hope that the old indian kept its bad rep so they can buy it up. That said the last show I was at the only thing there in bulk surplus was bandolered seventies indian and I think it was twenty cents a round anyway.
    Last edited by okie shooter; 04-04-2007 at 07:19 AM.
    Still building bigger and better bombs for your brighter tommrows(aw heck and takeing them apart and demilling them for that tommrow too)

Yeah, the FAL guys love this stuff...

I don;t kow why. I was telling a dealer in town here bout the indian ammo warnings, and he swore up and down it was great milsurp for his FAL...hey, whatever, man.

I can't believe I'm the first to post that!

Here's a dealer warning about Indian ammo; DSA
    I knew daredevils and I ain't got nothin' against them, ........it's just they're all dead.

I don't care who made it.

If it's military surplus or remanufactured and you do not closely inspect every round before putting it into your weapon, you get what you deserve. Plain and Simple.

If your time is worth more than the savings, buy commercial.

Here's my process. I usually do a minimum of 100 at a sit down:

1) Wipe all over with a towel lightly moistened with low odor mineral spirits.

2) Visually inspect using some kind of magnification. I use a B & L stereo 7-30x zoomed out to 7, with polarized light. If I see something out of the ordinary, I set it aside and afterwards re-examine zoomed in closer. A magnifying headband works okay also, followed by a 15x jeweler's loupe if needed for closer inspection. That's what I used before I stumbled upon the B & L at a flea market.

3) Check C.O.L.

4) Roll on a flat surface and observe concentricity.

5) If they make it this far, I weigh and sort them in 1 or 2 grain increments depending upon how wide the spread is. Anything way outside the group average is tossed in the resource recovery pile.

To date, I have shot only about 500-600 rounds of the ~2500 or so inspected, categorized and stored milsurp or remanufactured ammo I have. Of the 500-600, I have had:

zero failure to fire
    zero failure to go into battery
    zero case separation
    one split neck right where the flute mark was (Lake City XM80 FWIW)
    zero hang fire
    zero squib
    zero detectable hot charge
    zero really wild fliers, though plenty not in the 10 ring

Using my method. Of the ~2500 various caliber and brand milsurp and remanufactured ammo inspected, the most rejects I've encountered came from the 1986 Indian M80 with 18 absolute rejects out of a can of 640. Most suffered from concentricity issues, but three were, in my opinion, "accidents looking for a place to happen", though one of those would in all likelihood not have gone into battery anyway.

Though I have used Indian M80, I do not endorse or recommend using it. The people who are kind enough to provide us with this forum prefer it that way.

Hoot
    In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.

rustypirate
    The greatest danger with Indian ammo is the risk of a suib load. Suib loads are not something you can catch by visual inspection, and these are the ones that lead to destruction of your firearm and injury to the shooter.

While there is no gaurantee against underpowered rounds from any manufacturer, there have been unusually high number of ocurances of squibs fom Indian manufactured ammunition.

This is the reason for the warning against Indian ammo in all of it's various incarnations.